Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Virtual Advent Calendar Day 14: Pringles Can-dleholder



11 Days Left Until Christmas!



The Pringles Can-dleholder.


I didn't have any candles so I stuck this beautiful vintage beaded ornament on top.
Today's edition of the Retro Craft Virtual Advent Calendar was brought to you by a thrift store find.



The thrift store find that inspired today's craft.
 When I saw these at Goodwill, I knew I had to try this myself.  Do you recognize the shape?  I recognized it instantly because I've eaten quite a few of these in my life!

Pringles can or crafting opportunity?

So, let's get started!







Supplies Needed:

  • Pringles can
  • Mason jar "regular mouth" rim
  • Paint
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Decoupage medium (I used Collage Pauge)
  • Glue (I used Fabritac)
  • Xacto knife or other craft knife
  • Images for decoupage
  • Trim
  • Plastic miniatures
  • Felt or batting
Instructions:
Step 1:  Eat Pringles.  Wash out can.


Step 2:  Paint can.  I used a glossy spray paint, but you can use whatever you want.  You will need to do as many coats as necessary to cover up the images on the can.


Step 3:  Cut a hole in the can.  I used a flexible oval template that is about 3 inches high.  If you don't have one of those, cut out a paper template.  First, you want to draw your shape onto the can.  You should position it about 2 inches from the bottom.  Once you've marked your hole, cut it out with an Xacto knife.

Mark hole for cutting.


Hole after it's been cut.
Step 4:  You need to build up the bottom of the can to the same level as the bottom of the hole.  The vintage version used a piece of styrofoam.  I however, decided to pour in some plaster of Paris.  The advantage of plaster is that it provides some weight at the bottom of the can making it much more stable.

Waiting for the plaster to dry.
Step 5:  We are now ready to decoupage!  I love decoupaging.  I used images from the 1967 Montgomery Ward give away version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  



Montgomery Ward Rudolph book.
To decoupage, I using cover the back of the image with a thin layer of decoupage medium, place the image where I want it, rub out any bubbles, then cover the image and all the edges with another layer of decoupage medium.  





Decoupaging.  I love using the splayed brush for this.  It's thin so you don't get globs of decoupage medium, but because it's wide, you get great coverage.
Step 6:  Time to glitter!  I love glittering.  I covered half the can with decoupage medium, then add my glitter.  Once that was done, I covered the other half of the can, and added glitter on that side.  Once dry, go over the entire can with a layer of decoupage medium in order to secure the glitter on.


Step 7:  Add mason jar rim to the top of the can.  I used both a rim and a lid, but the original just had a rim which would be enough to hold a pillar candle securely.  I glued mine in, but the original was loose.  I have such paranoia about Frank Borman the cat knocking over candles.

The mason jar lid will fit right inside.


I also added a lid, but it's not necessary.
Step 8:  Create your scene in the hole.  I cut a circle of batting for my "snow," but you could use felt.  Another idea might be to cover the plaster with a thick layer of glue, then shake on a bunch of kosher salt for snow.  I also cut a piece of glittery blue paper for my sky.  If you don't have glittery blue paper, you could paint it, use blue felt, or just leave it silver.

Blue sky and snowy ground added.
Once you have these background items taken care of, glue in your miniatures.




Step 9:  Add trim around the hole.  I also added trim around the bottom and top of the can just because I liked it. 




Cost:  You'll send a dollar or so on the Pringles, and the miniatures might cost you $3-5.  If you have to buy trim, too, this might run you $10.
Time to Make:  1-2 hours plus drying time
Skill Level:  You'll need to be able to cut fairly accurately with a craft knife, but otherwise, a piece of cake.



There you go.  I've given you an excuse to eat Pringles and an awesome retro craft.  You're welcome.  We'll see you tomorrow for Day 15!





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...