Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scrapbuster No. 17 & Challenge Submission: Steering Wheel Cover with Tutorial

I am lovin' my new steering wheel cover.
 I live in Arizona where 9 years of the blistering, desert sun has done some real damage to my steering wheel.  I decided I needed a cover for it.  What a perfect scrap buster!
Nasty sun-damaged steering wheel.
This was so quick and easy to make.  In addition to being practical, it looks great, and is washable.  During the hot summer, it’s also much more comfortable on your hands after the car has been sitting in a parking lot for a couple of hours.


I used fabric leftover from the Tammis Keefe celebration (check that out here), but you could piece scraps together to make a patchwork version.  You'll also need scraps of batting.

Since I know you want to make one, too, let’s get right to the tutorial!

Supplies Needed:
  • A strip of fabric 9 inches x the circumference of your steering wheel plus .5 inch seam allowance (in my case, my strip is 9 x 47.5)
  • A strip of batting 3.5 inches x the circumference of your steering wheel (no need for the .5 seam allowance
  • 3-4 yards quarter inch elastic

Instructions:

Step 1:  Measure the circumference of your steering wheel.  You may want to bring a helper, or a roll of tape when you do this to get an accurate measurement.  The circumference of my steering wheel is 47 inches.

Step 2:  Fold your strip of fabric in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. and sew long edge together (I used a 3/8th seam).  Press the tube flat with the seam running through the middle. (Note:  The photos show that I sewed my tube with right sides together and turned it inside out; I realized later that it was completely unnecessary to do that.)
Seam in the middle when you press it flat (note:  the instructions have you sewing the seam so wrong sides together so you don't have to turn the tube)

Step 3:  Cut you batting 4 inches wide by the length of your tube.  Lay it down the center of your tube covering the seam.  Quilt this in place.  I did a line of stitching down the center of the tube, the lines of stitching down both sides about half an inch from the edge. (You might want to use a matching thread unlike me who forgot to change it before sewing!) Why is the batting on the outside?  It will help keep the cover from sliding around on the steering wheel.
Batting is attached with three lines of quilting.  I then needed to trim away a bit of excess batting.
Step 4:  We are now going to sew the elastic on the long edges of the tube.  Start one quarter inch in from the end.  Make sure to backstitch at the beginning to lock in your stitches.  As you sew, pull the elastic as tight as you can so you are stitching it down in its stretched position.  Stop one quarter inch before  the end and lock your stitches by backstitching.  Repeat on the other side.
Stretch the elastic tight as you sew.
When both sides are done, it should look something like this.
Step 5:  With right sides together, sew a quarter inch seam along the short edges.  Again, make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam.  Make sure your seam is accurate.  You want your cover to be snug, but not so tight you can't get it on the steering wheel!
Sew a quarter inch seam to join the two short ends (right sides together!)
Your finished product ready to give you a much more pleasant driving experience.
Step 6:  Go fit your cover on your steering wheel then enjoy the cuteness and comfort!

Step 7:  Be sure to vote for your favorite Challenge 16 project!


Pin It

21 comments:

La-Dee-da crafter said...

This is awesome. I have been looking to make one of these. I knew it was possible but had no idea how. I had one in my old Mustang and it was leopard print. I loved it. Now I am all grown up with my step kids and need something older, more sophisticated so I have to make one. Thank you, thank you. I am also in AZ so I need it for that reason too.
ladeedacreations.com

Crafts a la Mode said...

Very Nice tutorial. Thanks.

Sara vs. Sarah said...

La-Dee-Da Crafter, I'd love to see your finished project. If you post it on your blog, let me know.

Linda, thanks!

Flavia Casumpang said...

Wow, those covers look nice! You made me think of customizing my steering wheel and buying covers just like that!

driving school solihull said...

The deals you will obtain are much greater than that of regular local stores and the selection of different styles and colors are more plentiful since floor display space is not an issue.

tyre changers said...

Steering wheel covers can be a bit expensive. Whereas a normal cover can comes at $5 or might be less, a cover with a somewhat complex design which may come near about $55.

kcro62 said...

way cool. love it!

Anonymous said...

Yes this is awesome. I live in the desert in California and it very hot here. Thank you for this tutorial, that give me a understanding of how it goes together.

kaychrysanthemum said...

Personally, I think this isn't a good idea. I mean what if you happen to need to turn rather quickly (for whatever reason) and your fabric cover slips and you loose control of your auto? I would rather buy a tested manufactured one that has been tested than to be held in fault.
If you are sold on making this, use some type of grippy/friction fabric that will hold the cover against the steering wheel cover. And make sure you have all layers sewn tightly so you won't have any slippage.
I certainly hope I am not offending anyone because that isn't my intent; but, for your safety.

saddlesinc said...

I read your blog. Nice to read. Thanks for sharing

Steering Covers Manufacturers

Heated wheel covers said...

Wow, that was such an easy tutorial, I think it will take less than 10 mins to make this. I need to work on how to find the correct measurements.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's great! As smart as a new pin! I really like the car steering wheel cover, of course, if you are too lazy to work, or hands-on ability is too poor, you can also buy finished.

car steering wheel cover

Unknown said...

If you like this post you may enjoy this sites also best steering wheel cover

Natasips said...

hello this is great article .i am very interested this subject
Auto insides are there to be improved, and there's an enormous market out there, so have a ton of fun doing as such! To begin with, you could get situate covers.. best steering wheel cover

Unknown said...

Very Nice tutorial. Thanks. Phoenix Real Estate

RubyapS said...

thanks for great post
It is safe to say that you are hoping to update your well used guiding wheel - or maybe ensure the magnificence of your OEM wheel

Anna Schafer said...

I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them.
tappetini auto

acumedica said...

Nothing remain forever. Then why to keep same patter of work again and again. Why to repeat same strategy for very essay. Use differ strategy for different subjects because every subject has its own meaning. Keep such posts on.ร่ม รถ

acumedica said...

Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.ราคาร่มกันแดดรถยนต์

Car Covers said...

No Thing remain. Then why to maintain patter of work again and again. To replicate strategy for essay that is very. Use vary technique because each subject has its personal meaning.

Car Covers

kris said...

such a great idea! would love to see them at our shop https://www.eagleongrand.com/

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...