Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Scrapbuster No. 3 & Challenge Submission: Knitted "Iliana" I-Cord Headband with Tutorial!


We seem to forget about scrap yarn, but if you’re a knitter, you hang on to it just like a quilter holds on to her scrap fabric.  What should you do with it?  Here’s one idea: an I-cord headband.


This was quick and easy to make, and would be a great base for embellishments like knitted or crocheted flowers.  I used the leftover yarn from knitting a cotton dishrag and there was plenty to complete this project.  

I named this project in honor of my supermodel, Iliana!  She could make anything look good!

Supplies Needed:
  • Scrap Yarn
  • Double-pointed needles for that yarn (whatever size you need)
  • A length of elastic (I used 3/4th inch knitted elastic)
  • Sewing needle and thread, or sewing machine

Pattern:

Co 12 sts, *k 1 row, p 1 row* 3 times (6 rows total, end on a p row)
K 3 stitches, place the other 9 stitches on a stitch holder, k I-cord** on 3 sts to your desired length, place 3 stitches on a holder
Take the next 3 stitches off holder and k I-cord to match the length of the first I-cord, place stitches on a holder.  Repeat with the remaining groups of 3 stitches.
Once all I-cords are knitted, move the stitches from the holders back to one needle.  Make sure to keep the I-cords in order. 
*K 1 row, p1 row* 3 times (6 rows total, end on a p row), bind off 6 stitches.

Sew elastic into “casings” on either end.  I did mine on my sewing machine, but it can be done by hand, too.

**If you have not knitted I-cord before, you can find an excellent tutorial on The Purl Bee.

Pin It

1 comment:

Sara B. said...

sarah - i don't want to skew the voting on the pincushions post, so i'm commenting here. LOVE how these turned out! great tutorial & tip re: using the crushed walnut! Oh and this headband AND the model are ridiculously cute!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...