Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Challenge No. 20 Submission - Display Box Table

Tell me, how are you supposed to think outside the box when your challenge is to think about boxes?
It took awhile, but I finally came up with this idea for a table.
I have to admit, this one had me stumped for a long time. I couldn’t move my mind away from the thought of making a box. I literally could not think outside the box. Creative stagnation is only made worse when coupled with cliché, believe me.


Then I remembered a display box I bought at Goodwill a few months ago. At the time, I didn’t know why I was buying it as I had no earthly use for it. However, I knew I wanted it and its use would someday be revealed to me. That day had come. It would become a table!
The display box from Goodwill that inspired me.
A couple years ago, I had bought some wooden legs at Goodwill. Again, I had no earthly use for them, but I knew I wanted them and their use would someday be revealed to me. That day had come. It was all meant to happen. The Goodwill gods were guiding me.
My bag o' legs from Goodwill; vintage, too!
I started by attaching the legs to the display box. Power tools. Fun. I started out using all four screws in the plate that the leg screws into, but quickly figured out that would be problematic for the display area. That problem was easily solved by taking out the one screw that wasn’t along the edge.
Attaching the legs with my beloved drill.

Oops!  That fourth screw is going to have to go so it doesn't "screw" up my display area.
Next came sanding and painting. Taping off the glass area was a bit of a pain, but other than that, this took no time. Since the other wood (or wood-like veneer) in the room where the table will be used is dark, I decided to go with dark brown spray paint. It looks good and definitely has a 1960s vibe, like so much of my home.
Ready to be sanded and painted.
I decided to display some of my vintage sewing items. I’ve never had a good place to put them out before.
I laid my display objects on a piece of velvet to give the vignette more depth and texture.
I have to say, I’m pretty darn pleased with my box project. If you like it, too, be sure to vote for it!


svs signature Pin It

1 comment:

Noah liam said...

If there is some kind of award or reward for great content, this material should win it. I have not read such good quality content in a while. Thank you. CBD Display Box

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...