Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried green tomatoes are a staple in the south, and I love them! I live in Arizona now, but that hasn't stopped me from craving these. Since I cannot exactly find these in restaurants out here, I've resorted to making my own. Fortunately my husband is really into his tomato garden and this year it's out of control (there are over 20 plants in my yard). This means that I have easy access to LOTS of green tomatoes. Yum! As soon as I get the go ahead from him to pick some green ones, we go nuts frying these up and eating them like crazy.




These Fried Green Tomatoes are a hit whenever I make them! We're on three consecutive nights of these as I write :) A couple of folks have asked for the recipe - it couldn't be simpler but here is how I do it.

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 green tomatoes
  • "classic" breading ingredients, or roughly (put the 3 breading ingredients in 3 separate bowls!)
    • 1/4 cup flour with about 1/4 tsp salt (or seasoned salt)
    • 2 eggs with a splash of water - mix with fork (water thins the eggs out and helps w/ coating)
    • 1/2 cup corn meal with about 1/2 tsp salt (or seasoned salt) 
  • oil for pan frying, I use canola
  • salt (or seasoned salt -- I like Penzey's brand)
  • pepper


First slice tomatoes to about about 1/4" thickness (they fry up better if they are not thick wedges).

Second, coat both sides of each tomato slice in the breading bowls in this order:
  • dip in flour & shake off excess,
  • dip in egg / water mixture,
  • dip in corn meal.


^^ these are the 'breading bowls' ^^

Third, heat frying pan over medium high heat. Put oil in frying pan such that it'll cover the bottom and about 1/2 way up the sides of the tomato slices (you don't want to really deep fry the tomatoes; rather, we're just pan frying them with a flip about halfway through to get both sides nice & crispy).

Fourth, put the breaded tomato slices in the pan with the heated oil. Let them brown up and then flip; turn the heat down to low-medium at this point and keep an eye on them.

^^this is about how much oil you'll want in the pan ^^

Lastly, once you're satisfied w/ how they've fried up, put on paper towel lined plate to drain & cool. Give extra spinkle of salt & pepper if you want! Then, enjoy ... they are best still hot! (but, aren't all fried foods?)

If you're feeling really crazy, try these on a B.L.T. -- you won't even believe how good that is. For real. 

Enjoy! And if you have some favorite summer staples, by all means, do share! :)


sara sig Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...