These Fried Green Tomatoes are a hit whenever I make them! We're on three consecutive nights of these as I write :) A couple of folks have asked for the recipe - it couldn't be simpler but here is how I do it.
- 4-5 green tomatoes
- "classic" breading ingredients, or roughly (put the 3 breading ingredients in 3 separate bowls!)
- 1/4 cup flour with about 1/4 tsp salt (or seasoned salt)
- 2 eggs with a splash of water - mix with fork (water thins the eggs out and helps w/ coating)
- 1/2 cup corn meal with about 1/2 tsp salt (or seasoned salt)
- oil for pan frying, I use canola
- salt (or seasoned salt -- I like Penzey's brand)
First slice tomatoes to about about 1/4" thickness (they fry up better if they are not thick wedges).
Second, coat both sides of each tomato slice in the breading bowls in this order:
- dip in flour & shake off excess,
- dip in egg / water mixture,
- dip in corn meal.
|^^ these are the 'breading bowls' ^^|
Third, heat frying pan over medium high heat. Put oil in frying pan such that it'll cover the bottom and about 1/2 way up the sides of the tomato slices (you don't want to really deep fry the tomatoes; rather, we're just pan frying them with a flip about halfway through to get both sides nice & crispy).
Fourth, put the breaded tomato slices in the pan with the heated oil. Let them brown up and then flip; turn the heat down to low-medium at this point and keep an eye on them.
|^^this is about how much oil you'll want in the pan ^^|
Lastly, once you're satisfied w/ how they've fried up, put on paper towel lined plate to drain & cool. Give extra spinkle of salt & pepper if you want! Then, enjoy ... they are best still hot! (but, aren't all fried foods?)
If you're feeling really crazy, try these on a B.L.T. -- you won't even believe how good that is. For real.
Enjoy! And if you have some favorite summer staples, by all means, do share! :)