Monday, December 6, 2010

VAC Day 6: Crocheted Bangle Bracelet Garland

19 Days Left Until Christmas!

Back in the olden days when I was a girl, we made our own garland with whatever we had--aluminum foil, plastic 6 pack holders, paper bags cut into strips...  one year, I even had to shave my head and weave garland out of my own hair!  That was the same year that we decorated the tree with the baby's shoes and socks because we couldn't afford ornaments.  Unfortunately, my older sister was put in debtor's prison just after Thanksgiving.  We never saw her again; sometimes I think I just imagined her.  

But, we had each other and that's all that mattered.  I believe it was the strength of that familial love that caused our Christmas miracle.  Our cat Stumpy was born with only three legs.  That Christmas morning, Stumpy awoke with four perfectly formed legs!  We renamed him Irving and let him outside to enjoy his new leg.  Sadly, he ran right into traffic and was killed by a 1972 Ford LTD.  The morale of the story, be careful of what you ask Santa for, as you might just get it. 

Alas, I digress.  In the tradition of using what you've got, I give you the crocheted bangle bracelet garland!


I started out with the bangle bracelets wired together, but it didn't stand out on my silver tree.
You may remember that Sara and I used bangle bracelets as the handles on our Candy Apple Treat BoxesI had a ton of them left over so they became the base of my garland. At first, I wired the bracelets together, but that didn't stand out against the tree.  What to do, hmmmm.

Like any obsessed knitter, I save all my yarn scraps (going back for at least 15 years).  I figure I'll find a use for them someday.  Well, today was someday.  Using a size "G" hook, and red, green, white and teal worsted weight yarn, I single crocheted around each bracelet.  Once I got to the end, I attached it to the previously covered bracelet using two single crochets.  I knotted off and worked in the tails.


I did felt this, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.  It tightened the yarn around the bracelet, but it didn't look much different pre- and post-felting.  I'm not sure if I would make that effort again.

Cost:  About $6-7 for the bracelets 
Time to Complete:  An evening or two
Skill Level:  A beginning crocheter could easily do this.

There you go!  See you tomorrow for Day 7. Rest in peace, Stumpy/Irving!



Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did you felt it? I always thought you just threw it in the wash?

Kim

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...