Friday, December 10, 2010

VAC Day 10: Folded Magazine Angel

15 Days Left Until Christmas
Folded Magazine Angel
Oh, the wonders you can make with folded magazines!  You'd never know that is beautiful angel started life as a Land's End catalog.  I found everything I needed to know in Craft-Course's "Folded Magazine Novelties" pamphlet.
The inspiration for my folded angel.
The magazine of choice for these projects is The Reader's Digest.  I didn't happen to have a copy, so I used a few of the thousand or so catalogs that have shown up in my mailbox lately.  They worked just fine, but my angel is quite a bit taller than the other folded magazine angels out there.  So, she's not just an angel, she's an Amazon Angel.

Supplies Needed:
  • Magazines or catalogs (I needed 3 of them, but you may need more or less depending on the number of pages)
  • Spray Paint
  • Angel doll head with wings (you want the kind that has a hole on the bottom, not the kind on a wire stem)
  • Felt 
  • Pipe Cleaners
  • Trims
  • Glue (Fabri-Tac works great)
Instructions:

Step 1:  Start folding.  Remove the cover if the paper is heavier than the rest of the pages. You will make 3 folds on each page, as shown in the photos below.  Do these folds on all pages.
Fold #1:  Take upper right corner and fold it to the spine forming a triangle.

Fold #1 - You want to make sure the fold has a good crease.  I used my finger, but you could use a bone folder, as well.
Fold #2 - Fold long edge of triangle to it lines up with the spine. Crease the fold.

Fold #3 - Fold the bit that is hanging below the rest of the pages up.  The crease should be even with the bottom of the next page.

It should look like this when all folds have been made.

Now turn the page to the left, and start again.


Step 2:  If you have to use more than one catalog to get the fullness that you want, you will need to attach the sections.  You can glue or staple the sections together (I stapled).


Step 3:  Spray paint your folded pages.


Step 4:  Attach the head by gluing it on the body.


Step 5:  Add sleeves and arms.  Cut a circle of felt about 6 inches in diameter, then cut that circle in half.  Form a cone and glue.  The arms are a pipe cleaner folded in half (the fold is the hand) then trimmed down to size.  Insert arm in sleeve and glue both to the angel body.



Step 6:  Add the halo.  My angel head came with wings, but no halo.  I fashioned one out of a chenille pipe cleaner and glued it in her hair.


Step 7:  Decorate the body with trim.  I kept mine simple with a single length of gold trim.

Cost:  Assuming you have to buy the head and the paint, this one will run you about $8-10. 
Time to Complete:  1-2 hours
Skill Level:  Folding magazines takes very little skill; gluing stuff, maybe just a tad more.

On to Day 11!  Is this not the most exciting Christmas event ever?



Pin It

1 comment:

Gail said...

When I was a Brownie about 100 years ago in elementary school, we made Christmas trees out of folded magazines just like this. Fold them up, spray paint them green and before the paint dried give 'em a good dose of glitter. I hadn't thought about that until I saw your angels. Fabulous - thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...